看美剧学英语高频短语:Throw in the towel

Throw in the towel is an idiomatic expression meaning to give up, admit defeat, or stop trying after realizing that success is unlikely. Tone: informal, often slightly regretful but sometimes practical. (放弃、认输或停止继续尝试,通常是在经过努力之后仍然无法成功的情况下。整体语气通常带有:无奈、遗憾或现实接受的意味。)

看美剧学英语高频短语:Thow in a towel

The phrase comes from boxing: a coach would literally throw a towel into the ring to signal surrender on behalf of the fighter. In modern English, it is widely used in both literal and metaphorical contexts to describe quitting after struggle or exhaustion. (这个表达来源于拳击比赛:教练会把毛巾扔进拳击场,表示替选手认输或停止比赛。在现代英语中,它被广泛用于比喻意义,表示:)

It often implies:

  • surrender after effort (在努力之后选择放弃)
  • stopping a difficult attempt (承认失败)
  • accepting failure or limitation (停止继续尝试)
  • emotional or physical exhaustion leading to quitting (因疲惫或无力继续而退出)

场景一:《绝望的主妇》Desperate Housewives S05E06 09:55(Katherine & Bree)

Katherine:I’m thinking about moving to Maryland. 我在考虑搬去马里兰。

Bree:Maryland? 马里兰?

Katherine:Mm-hmm. Dylan’s there with her husband, And the baby’s coming soon. 嗯,迪伦和她丈夫在那里,而且孩子也快出生了。

——>> Maybe it’s time for me to go inflict myself on them. 也许是时候让我“去打扰”他们了。

Bree:You can’t just up and move. 你不能说搬就搬。

——>> You have a life here. 你在这里有生活。

Katherine:No, I don’t. I have a job—period. 不,我没有。我只有一份工作,仅此而已。

——>> No kids to raise, no husband, no boyfriend. 没有孩子要养,没有丈夫,没有男朋友。

——>> Might as well throw in the towel and… Go be a grandma. 那还不如直接放弃……去当个“奶奶”。

Bree:Katherine, you are a vibrant, attractive woman. Katherine, You—你是一个有活力、有魅力的女人。你……

Katherine:Who hasn’t had sex in two years. 你——一个两年没性生活的人。

——>> That spells “grandma” to me. 在我看来,这就等于“奶奶”。


场景二:《金装律师》Suits S04E16 20:19(Harvey, Mike & Rachel)

Harvey:Both of you? 你们两个一起?

Mike:We both work for you. 我们都为你工作。

Rachel:Which is why we’re both here to say 也正因为如此,我们今天来是想说

——>> maybe it’s time we explore other options. 也许是时候考虑其他选择了。

Harvey:You got to be kidding me. 你在开玩笑吧。

——>> You spent two days on this, and you’re ready to throw in the towel? 你们花了两天时间,现在就要放弃?

Mike:We’ve spent two of our five days on it, 我们五天里已经用了两天

——>> and we still don’t have a name, so we think it’s time to consider— 但还是没有结果,所以我们觉得该考虑——

Harvey:What? 什么?

Rachel:Going after Forstman, for whatever he did to you 12 years ago. 去追查 Forstman,为他12年前对你做的一切。


隐藏内容

此处内容需要权限查看

  • 普通4金币
  • 会员2金币5折
  • 永久会员免费推荐

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

本站所有资源版权均属于原作者所有,这里所提供资源均只能用于参考学习用,请勿直接商用。若由于商用引起版权纠纷,一切责任均由使用者承担。更多说明请参考 VIP介绍。

最常见的情况是下载不完整: 可对比下载完压缩包的与网盘上的容量,若小于网盘提示的容量则是这个原因。这是浏览器下载的bug,建议用百度网盘软件或迅雷下载。 若排除这种情况,可在对应资源底部留言,或联络我们。

对于会员专享、私藏软件、高频短语、句型结构、修辞应用等类型的素材,文章内用于介绍的图片通常并不包含在对应可供下载素材包内。这些相关商业图片需另外购买,且本站不负责(也没有办法)找到出处。 同样地一些字体文件也是这种情况,但部分素材会在素材包内有一份字体下载链接清单。

如果您已经成功付款但是网站没有弹出成功提示,请联系站长提供付款信息为您处理

源码素材属于虚拟商品,具有可复制性,可传播性,一旦授予,不接受任何形式的退款、换货要求。请您在购买获取之前确认好 是您所需要的资源