场景一:选自美剧《纸牌屋》S04E03 18:32(对话者:Frank Monologue)
Frank Underwood: Well, don’t you look thick as thieves. 哟,你们俩看起来倒是亲密无间啊。
——>> It’s as though she never left. And that’s what I’m afraid of. 就好像她从未离开过一样。而这正是我所担心的。
场景二:选自1995版《傲慢与偏见》31:10(对话者:Mrs. Bennet, Colonel Anthony和Wickham)
Mrs. Bennet: We are so desolated [‘desələt] , Colonel, that the regiment is to leave Meryton, 上校,民兵团要离开梅里顿,我们感到非常难过,
——>> but words cannot express what we feel about your kindness to our dear Lydia. 但言语无法表达我们对您照顾我们亲爱的丽迪雅所怀有的感激之情。
Colonel Anthony: Well, ma’am, it appears that Mrs Forster cannot do without her. 嗯,夫人,看来福斯特太太离不开她。
——>> Look at the pair of them. Thick as thieves! 瞧瞧她们俩。亲密得如同共犯!
——>> Lord knows what they find to talk about. 天晓得她们有什么好聊的。
——>> But anything to keep the ladies happy. What do you say, Wickham? 不过只要能哄女士们开心就好。你说呢,威克姆?
Wickham: I say amen to that, sir. 我说阿门,先生。
场景三:选自美剧《唐顿庄园》S06E01 32:22(对话者:Robert, John Bates, Cora)
Robert: Why didn’t Carson tell me? He’s the one who’s being undermined. 卡森为什么不告诉我?他才是那个被暗中使坏的人。
John Bates: It’s a very difficult subject for him to discuss. 这个话题对他来说很难开口。
Robert: I can imagine. 可以想象。
——>> But it’s not as if we didn’t all know about Barrow. 但这并不意味着我们大家都不知道巴罗的事。
John Bates: That’s what I said to Mrs Hughes. 我也是这么跟休斯太太说的。
——>> I mean, if I shouted blue murder every time someone tried to kiss me at Eton, 我是说,要是我在伊顿公学时每有人想亲我就大喊救命,
——>> I’d have gone hoarse [hɔːs] in a month. 那我一个月内嗓子就得喊哑了。
Robert: What a tiresome fellow. 真是个烦人的家伙。
John Bates: It’s not the boy’s fault, my lord. 这不是那孩子的错,老爷。
——>> He’s been whipped up, told if he doesn’t see it through, 他是被人煽动的,有人告诉他如果他不把这事坚持到底,
——>> we’d all suspect him of batting for the same team. 我们就会怀疑他也是那路人(同性恋)。
Batting:棒球中的“击球”。 字面直译:“为同一支队伍击球”。 俚语含义 在现代英语口语中,这个短语通常用来委婉地指代同性恋。它借用了棒球运动的团队概念——如果两个人都在为“同一支队伍”击球,意味着他们有着相同的性取向(通常指男性同性恋)。
Robert: Crikey [‘kraɪki]! But who’d do that? 天哪!可谁会这么做呢?
——>> Who’s got it in for Barrow? 谁跟巴罗过不去?
Get/have it in for someone:an idiomatic expression meaning to deliberately treat someone badly, pick on them, be unfair to them, or hold a grudge against them. (针对某人、针对性地刁难或批评某人、怀恨在心。→ 既有心理,又有行动上的针对)
John Bates: Miss O’Brien. 奥布莱恩小姐。
Robert: O’Brien? I thought they were as thick as thieves. 奥布莱恩?我还以为他们俩亲密无间呢。
John Bates: Not now, my lord. 现在不是了,老爷。
场景四:选自美剧《唐顿庄园》S03E08 39:53(对话者:Robert, Cora)
Robert: Naturally, Sir John is very upset by the whole thing. 自然,约翰爵士对整件事感到非常沮丧。
——>> Unfortunately, they couldn’t sell the estate without vacant possession. 不幸的是,没有空置所有权,他们就无法出售庄园。
Cora: So, it’s sold now? 那么,现在卖出去了?
Robert: Yes. At least, they think so. 是的。至少他们是这么认为的。
——>> And I have to go. 而我也得走了。
Cora: Not necessarily. 不一定。
——>> That would be the decision of the new owners. 那将由新主人决定。
Robert: I see. Well… 我明白了。好吧……
——>> Thank you very much for putting in a word, m’lord. 非常感谢您为我美言,老爷。
——>> If I hear anything more, I’ll make sure Daisy knows it. 如果我听到什么新消息,我一定让黛西知道。
Cora: Thank you. 谢谢。
Robert: Poor man. 可怜的人。
Cora: To have his whole future hanging in the balance, at his time of life. 到了他这把年纪,整个未来还悬而未决。
Robert: These are days of uncertainty. 这是个充满变数的年代。
Cora: How was John when you spoke to him? 你跟约翰谈的时候他怎么样?
Robert: In a state. They’re throwing in the towel. 情绪很糟。他们要认输了。
Throw in the towel: an idiomatic expression meaning to admit defeat, give up, stop trying, or quit a struggle because you believe you can no longer succeed. (认输;放弃;不再坚持;举白旗。)
——>> He says, once the debts are paid, there won’t be too much left. 他说,还完债之后,剩不下多少了。
——>> Tim’s emigrating to Kenya. 蒂姆要移民去肯尼亚了。
Cora: Poor Marian. To be separated from her only son. 可怜的玛丽安。要和她的独生子分离。
——>> She’ll hate that. 她会恨死那样的。
Robert: I said we’d go to the sale. 我说我们会去参加拍卖。
Cora: Do you want to? 你想去吗?
Robert: Well, John’s father and my papa were as thick as thieves. 嗯,约翰的父亲和我父亲当年可是亲密无间。
——>> It might be nice to find a memento [mə’mentəʊ] of the old boy. 能找到一件那位老伙计的纪念品也许会不错。